The big game is over and thankfully so, seeing as we are based near Denver, Colorado. Need I say more. The commercials are over and discussed. And it is time to check out a showdown that we look forward to each and every year and is educational branding’s equivalent of the Super Bowl. This year is a matchup of three extraordinary education branding professionals. We are honored to announce the finalists for the 2013 International Brand Master Award (listed in alphabetical order).
Jennifer Chesney, University of Alberta: Jennifer leads the digital strategy for creating high-quality massive open online courses (MOOCs) for the University of Alberta (UofA). Our first MOOC, Dino 101, has 20,000+ students from around the world plus 450+ UofA students taking the course both for free, for credit, and for credit by proxy. Dino 101 takes the quality and rigor of MOOCs to a higher level, challenging all other universities to rise to the new bar that has been set. For more information on Jennifer Chesney.
Seth Odell, Southern New Hampshire University: In 2013, under the direction of the Southern New Hampshire University (SNHU) CEO, Seth led a brand repositioning for SNHU, moving the university from being known for low-cost to being known for customer intimacy and support. This culminated with concepting, writing, and art directing “See Yourself Succeed” a first-of-its-kind integrated national advertising campaign supporting our online education offerings. Successfully repositioning the SNHU brand. SNHU saw record growth and was the fastest growing university in the country in 2013. For more information on Seth Odell.
Rachel Reuben, Ithaca College: Rachel and her team have done a tremendous job in defining and refining the brand identity for Ithaca College over the past few years. Her leadership and expertise is evident in the efforts between 2010 and 2012 to launch a new brand identity for Ithaca College. Find out more about Rachel Reuben.
With three extraordinary finalists to vote for, we are now asking for your help in determining the 2013 International Brand Master. Read more about the finalist and vote for the winner.
While the three finalists above are extremely talented, the judges had a very tough time choosing only three from the pool of this year’s 13 outstanding nominees. Congratulations to all of the nominees for being recognized by their peers and being apart of the competition. We hope to see your names show up again next year (listed in alphabetical order).
- Sarah Finstad, Director of Marketing & Communications, Regent College in British Columbia, Canada
- Claire Holmes, Associate Vice Chancellor, Communications and Public Affairs, University of California, Berkeley in California, United States
- Michelle Hougland, Director of Marketing and Brand Management, Texas Tech University in Texas, United States
- Lucy Hutchison, Webmaster, University of Mary Hardin-Baylor in Texas, United States
- Daniel Koffler, Founder, New Frontiers in Learning in New York, United States
- Janusz Kozinski, Founding Dean of the Lassonde School of Engineering, York University in Ontario, Canada
- Dean Lorenz, Director of Marketing and Brand Strategy, Sheridan College in Ontario, Canada
- Mike Sample, Vice President of Public Affairs and Government Relations, Indiana University in Indiana, United States
- Jason Scholte, U.S. Military & Veterams Program Director, Griffith University in Queensland, Australia
- John Veilleux, Vice President of Marketing & Communications, Texas Wesleyan University in Texas, United States
I can’t thank them enough and I have done so numerous times in emails, phone calls, and more. But I would like to thank them one more time. A sincere thank you to the judges listed below for taking time out of their busy days to use their knowledge and expertise to judge the branding work of this year’s extraordinary group of nominees (listed in alphabetical order).
- Danielle Beale: Marketing and digital communications professional, marketing chair for several organizations, and an edsocialmedia.com blogger from Nashoba Brooks School in the United States.
- Hanne Haapoja: Branding professional with Aalto University, Finland, since its start in 2010 and previously a brand consultant for many different Finnish tech companies.
- Tim Jones: 12 years in higher ed marketing and web communications with College of William and Mary and, currently with, North Carolina State University in the United States.
- Emma Leech: Highly decorated and internationally recognized branding professional with The University of Nottingham in England, and winner of the 2011 International Brand Master Award.
- Mbali Mkhize: 11 years of decorated branding and an international higher ed collaborator with Mangosuthu University of Technology in South Africa.
- Catherine “Punky” Scruggs: brand marketing professional with 16 years experience, currently at George Mason University in the United States, and a finalist for the 2009 International Brand Master Award.